This all-purpose salve is good for so many things – bug bites, itchy skin, cuts and more. The coconut oil and olive oil bring nourishment to the skin, while the beeswax is known to lock in moisture, foster cells, and protect skin from damaging environmental factors.
This salve uses a calendula oil infusion. If you have the option, choose whole dried calendula flowers and not just the dried petals. There is a lot of medicine in the flower-part of the calendula.
What You’ll Need
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Beeswax Pastilles
- 1 cup Dried Whole Calendula Flowers
- 20 drops Melaleuca
- 20 drops Lavender
- Macerate the calendula flowers in your food processor with the olive oil until it resembles a pesto-like consistency.
- Combine the flowers and olive oil with the coconut oil, beeswax in a double boiler and bring to a simmer. Slowly heat for 30 minutes to 3 hours, making sure to not let the oil get hotter than 110 degrees fahrenheit. Keep an eye on the water in your double boiler. You do not want to let your herbs get too hot.
- Strain the mixture into a bowl through a cheesecloth, making sure to wring out all the oil, getting every last drop.
- Let cool for a few minutes.
- Add the essential oils and stir. Pour into a glass jar and store for up to a year at room temperature, twice as long if you refrigerate.