The holidays are wonderful. Family comes into town, the weather gets cooler, everything smells like cinnamon…it’s fantastic! But, the holidays can also be stressful–especially if you’re the one in charge of cooking this year. We understand the struggle of feeding too many mouths, so we’ve compiled a list of our favorite Thanksgiving recipes. If you have family members who haven’t fallen in love with essential oils yet, just wait until they try these classics with an oily twist! Keep an eye out as we make more posts throughout the week. First up, breakfast!
French Toast with Apple Cranberry Sauce
We adapted this recipe from Recipes with Essential Oils.
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup grape or apple juice
- 1 cup berry preserves
- 1 red apple, chopped
- 4 drops Orange essential oil, divided
- 3 drops Cinnamon essential oil, divided
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 drop Clove essential oil
- 1 drop Ginger essential oil
- 12 slices of white bread
- In a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, juice, preserves, and apple cubes. Cook over low heat until the mixture comes to a low simmer.
- Remove from heat and stir in 2 drops orange essential oil and 1 drop cinnamon bark essential oil. Set aside.
- Heat griddle to 375 degrees.
- In a shallow dish, combine the eggs, milk, butter, vanilla, clove essential oil, ginger essential oil, plus 2 drops cinnamon bark essential oil and 2 drops orange essential oil. Stir well with a whisk.
- Dip bread into the egg mixture and allow extra mixture to drip off before cooking on the griddle.
- Turn each slice and cook for about 3 – 4 minutes on each side until bread is a deep, golden brown color.
- Spoon apple mixture over the top and serve immediately.